Saturday, January 26, 2008

Here we go...

I started painting at the end of August, during a cancer scare; I needed something to keep me occupied during all the testing and surgery and mostly all the weeks of waiting in between. My daughter, also an artist, had been challenging me for two years to try painting with a brush, not a mouse. So, I tried it; and I can only see one problem....I cannot stop. I have heard of art therapy for years; but never ever realized what it meant. The peace that comes over me, the joy of creation, the thrill of colors....all feelings I am sure many, many others have had before me. Yet somehow when it is new to you, it is NEW.

There are any number of quotes from other artists...past and present that are interesting, but one that I read by Picasso, holds great meaning for me, for it seems to describe what happens for me when I paint...."Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." Another, that encompasses all of what I do, is by Amy Lowell: "Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in." I do that with my work on my websites, poetry and painting; or at least I try...there is so much to express...and so little time.

Some of the first paintings I did, were helped by some art instruction books, tutorials for digital art, and paintings that I had gathered over the years. Most these were books that gave me permission to use their work, to help me learn. Others were less clear. Those paintings from books and tutorials are not for sale, just here to give you an idea of my progress.

The Farm
Mixed mediums on an 8x11 canvas panel

This was to be a study in glazing, I just liked the picture,and took it in another direction. The Book was written by S.H.McGuire, tho' I am not sure whose painting it is based on.

A Study In Perspective

Mixed mediums on an 8x10 canvas panel

This was based on a PhotoImpact tutorial, a software program that I love, and use alot. The tutorial was taught by Grace Farquhar.

Flying Free
Acrylics on a 14x18 canvas panel

This was also based on a PhotoImpact tutorial, that I had done, and thought would be fun to do with acrylics. The tutorial was taught by Norma Murphy.

No comments: