Friday, June 27, 2008

Since Wet Canvas is still down....sigh....

It has been a long week with Wet Canvas down. I did not realize how very spoiled I was, and how much I had come to rely on the the comments of other artists, in judging my own work. Now that I have not had that for a week...am I any closer to deciding myself what I like, and what I don't? I am not sure; but it has given me food for thought. I know my daughter, who is an artist, wonders why I am so concerned with what others think; yet I would say my whole life has been based on that, in some way or another. I have always been more concerned with what others think of me, than what I think of myself. My current husband has helped me alot with this...but it still remains a large part of my psyche...I wonder sometimes, if I will ever overcome it, or if I should. Perhaps even "bad" character flaws are part of what makes us who we are...and the loss of even one of them would change us. Like I said, much food for thought there. Perhaps it better belongs on Dragonswhispers than here in my art blog.

Moving right along...I have been playing with techniques, and working on the new master's challenge, Van Gogh, this time. It has been an interesting, and fairly productive week. Since I am newer to painting, I still get tons of books from the library...searching for knowledge, and learning techniques and terminology, etc. This week I have been playing with combining some of the "easier" and often maligned art teachers techniques and mixing them with my style (such as it is at the moment). For a change, I have been pleased with how it is going.


Here is the Van Gogh I did, called First Steps....

The original ...











Mine ....it still could use a bit more work....














I also drew a sketch of a sketch he did called Sorrow, I just could not resist adding color to it...since it is a nude, I will not post it here, but those who are adults and are interested in seing it, can view it here Portraits 2.

This is the first of the landscapes, as yet untitled...of the everglades:

















and the second one, also untitled...tho' I am leaning toward making it fantasy art, with either a unicorn or a dragon...or both??



















Well, a long day editing blogs and web pages, and I think I am done for now. In case anyone notices, I am going to be using my middle initial from now on. There are alot of Susan Richard's out there, and even some are artists...so I am hoping to avoid confusion...and be my own person.

No comments: